I began by saving each filter I used every day. I flopped the filter onto a plate to loosen a majority of the grounds and then laid it flat. After I had a few I sprayed them with a glue/water solution and allowed them to dry. After the filters were stiff I analyzed them for pattern or symmetry or lack of. The first drawing occurred because I took effort to choose a filter that displayed a symmetrical residue. The filter was then xerox copied and made into a transparency to project onto paper. Black Sharpie was then used to record all of the positive space being projected. The positive space is comprised of small circular controlled movements of the pen touching the paper.
The second filter was chosen because it displayed some symmetry, but not as much as the first and was a little bit more wild and crazy. As I worked through it I didn't know how I felt about it. To me it felt like it had a mind of its own, all irregular on the edges and combusting in some areas, but I felt like that was o.k. because there was still some pattern there and maybe this is what happens next. I say "next" because I feel like they have a planet like feeling to them and originally I started to see them as different states of a planet breaking apart. But now other imagery comes to mind like brain tissue and island regions.